Abortion means terminating an already existing pregnancy via drug (medical), surgery, chemical or other methods. The woman is pregnant for 9 months 10 days before delivering a child. Prior to delivery, a termination of pregnancy can happen at any stage. If the abortion is done at 10 weeks or lesser, the woman’s health is unaffected. As the gestation (days passed from the time of first day of the person’s last periods to current pregnancy day) age increases, the risks to complications may rise. Given the nature of the regimen, abortion has attained a contentious status around the world.
Precaution for abortion
There are no particular criteria as to surgical procedures of pregnancy termination, beside for the basic health requirements for a safety relating to well being of heart/insulin levels/blood system. But, if the woman wants to undergo a medical or drug induced abortion, there are certain conditions to observe, which are mentioned here:
- The female must not have ectopic pregnancy (fetus growing outside womb).
- She must not be allergic to abortion pills, or over 35 years old, and should be less than 12 weeks pregnant.
- The person must not suffer from adrenal gland/liver/kidney/heart disorder.
- She should not be diabetic, hypertensive, have inherited porphyria or uterine complications etc.
Before undergoing abortion via any method (drugs, surgery or chemicals), the person must be aware of the procedure, and what she can expect from it.
- She must speak to the doctor and get answers to all her questions regarding abortion. Understanding the ‘Patient Agreement Form’ is necessary, prior to signing it.
- Know the protocols of the clinic or place from where the abortion is being obtained, or read through the medication guide properly (for a medical pregnancy termination).
- Get necessary health-check up done such as ultrasound, hormone and blood tests etc. Follow doctor advised routine of treatment.
- Report if any allergies are there, and tell the physician about drugs (prescription and non-prescription) currently being used.
- Let the healthcare provider know about medical history, and present them with accurate documents of the same. This will allow the practitioner to know about the conditions better.
- Arrangement of funds is also necessary, as pregnancy termination can cost a lot many dollars. Some organizations provide aid, while there are insurance companies that cover the cost.
Categorised in: Abortion
This post was written by Marcella