Access to pregnancy termination pills and services is one of the hot topics discussed not only in the current political sphere but also within our social circle. Due to recent revisions by the FDA, the label on Mifepristone has changed that have made it accessible to more women. Since the regulations have loosed up a little, one can buy abortion pill a lot more easily than a decade ago.
Studies show that success rate of using Mifepristone and Misoprostol range from 96%-97% effectively without any complications. Can the abortion pills, however, used by yourself?
The procedure of taking pregnancy cancellation pills starts with –
- Take Mifepristone on day one. It is a progesterone blocking pill that stops the pregnancy continuing hormones from building a uterine wall that is used for attaching the embryo to the womb. This wall also supplies nourishment to the embryo, which is stopped by Mifepristone.
The recommended dose for Mifepristone is 200 mg. It does not have any side-effects other than light bleeding. Therefore it is recommended to have sanitary pads with you after taking this drug. Otherwise, you may go on with your day-to-day activities
- A mandatory interval of 24-42 hours that is one or two days must be taken after consuming Mifepristone.
- Take Misoprostol on the second or third day (some women take misoprostol at the end of the day after taking mifepristone). This is a prostaglandin analogue that causes uterine contractions and helps the detached conception tissues to flow though vaginally. As it helps eject pregnancy parts from the body, bleeding and abdominal cramps are to be expected. Other than these however, side effects such nausea, diarrhea, weakness and vomiting are also experienced by some users.
The recommended dose for Misoprostol is 800 mcg and it can be taken buccally (in the cheek pouches) or by inserting the pills into the vagina. Although oral administration is recommended, if inserted vaginally, one must not push them too further but rather just where their fingers reach.
According to the new FDA rule, administration of Misoprostol is not required to be done at the clinic/hospital, so it can be done at home.
Doing medical abortion at home
You can carry out the process by yourself if –
- Have gotten consultation about going through the process
- If you are not ectopic pregnant ( outside the womb)
- If you have checked all allergy possibilities and health conditions with your health care provider and are in the clear.
- If you have decided to buy abortion pills online, you have checked the genuineness of your source and pills
- If you are within 10 weeks of gestation
- Not using IUD (Intrauterine device) birth control contraceptive
In some countries women only buy Misoprostol to have an abortion. Even misoprostol alone is effective in carrying out an abortion; its success rate is only 77%-88%. Statistics show that the combination of mifepristone and misoprostol is effective for safe pregnancy termination and has a success rate up to 98% without complications.
This post was written by Marcella