A pregnancy ending can be performed either via oral intake of abortion pills or a surgical termination regimen. A woman can choose either of the two in case she is in early pregnancy. Abortion pills combine Mifepristone and Misoprostol tablets for the removal of pregnancy parts from the body. It is a non-invasive method compared to surgical aspiration.
In surgery-aided pregnancy termination, the doctor numbs the cervix and inserts an instrument to clean out the uterus of pregnancy particles. The medical procedure seems like a natural early miscarriage technique, against the invasive method. Also, in medication treatment, the female can be at home, while in the latter, hospital care is necessary, making surgery costlier than the drug regimen.
Here is a brief comparison between the two methods, which will help you decide, which is the better way of ending pregnancy- is it the abortion pill or surgery?
How Far Along Pregnancy Do They Work
- Medical abortion can be done up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. Success rates are low after 12 pregnancy weeks. Most of the pregnancies are terminated in less than 8 to 10 weeks, making abortion pills convenient for women.
- Surgical pregnancy termination can be done from the 6th to the 20th or 24th Unlike medicines, the surgical method may result in a failed attempt to end a pregnancy if taken in less than 6 gestation weeks. But, the tablets can be taken any time after the 4th pregnancy week to the 12th.
How long it takes for Pregnancy Termination
- Medications end the pregnancy in less than 2 weeks, some are done within a few hours of using Misoprostol tablets. The duration may vary from case to case.
- The surgical process is completed within 5 to 10 minutes. But, being intrusive, and making anesthesia a necessity, women prefer the medicines as a more privacy-oriented method, than surgery.
How painful is the Procedure-
- Mild or moderate cramps are expected at least in the first three hours of using Cytotec tablets. Painkillers can be taken to control the pain. There is no scope for injury to the reproductive organ by taking medicines.
- Mild to strong cramps are experienced throughout the process of the invasive treatment. Pain medications can be used. If the professional is not trained enough, there could be an injury to the reproductive organ.
How much is the Bleeding-
- Heavy bleeding and clots are seen during the process, and light bleeding for 9 to 14 days, and sometimes longer.
- Moderate to light bleeding may follow for 6 to 8 weeks. There is not much of a hassle in managing the bleeding from either process.
Can any of the Methods Fail-
- Abortion pills are successful 98 percent of the time. In case the method fails, a surgical process can be performed to remove the remnants from the uterus. It is one of the most painless methods even if the treatment does not complete.
- Surgical abortion is 99 percent successful, but if it fails, the process has to be repeated. Given the very low difference in success rate, women choose to take the tablets as it does not at least involve instruments or scare the untrained doctors performing on them.
As we have analyzed both the methods used for abortion, the tablets-assisted way seems to be a clear winner in case a female prefers the comfort of home, and a less expensive, or taxing way. While the surgical means is quicker, with less bleeding involved, the advantages abortion pill serves to seem to outweigh its counterpart. However, it is a person’s discretion as to which regimen she wishes to undertake for ending her pregnancy.
This post was written by Marcella